Saturday, July 19, 2014

Roaring Reviews: More Than This by, Patrick Ness

Title: More Than This
Publication Date: May 1, 2014 by Walker Books Ltd
Author: Patrick Ness
Format: Hardback

Plot Synopsis:

A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

The Actual Review:

I found this book when I was casually browsing through the aisles of Fullybooked, when my sight landed on its spine, and as soon I saw the word Ness, I imediately picked it up, hoping that the writer would be Patrick Ness and not just someone who happens to share the last name. 

AND I WAS RIGHT!

The book is written by him, and reminiscing my fantastic experience upon reading his other book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, I ran up to the counter as fast as my two feet could carry me and bought the book.

The entire concept of More Than This, seemed promising when I was reading the blurb. The idea was so fresh and de novo that what really happened wouldn't come to you whilst reading because it's far-fetched but at the same time seem plausible and likely to happen in.the future. 

I never expected to like the characters in this books, most especially Seth. I could relate to his character in almost every which way possible, his angst, his loneliness, his self-pitying temperament; Patrick Ness really captured the inner turmoils a teenager goes through at this stage of life. I applaud how the readers get to explore more to Seth's character and life (antemortem) though the consistent flashback chapters. 

And although the blurb, as said before, seems really the first one-third of the book dragged quite a lot! I was this close upon giving up on the book itself if it were not  for my reservation I get when putting a book down unfinished. And as repercussion of the draggy start, I didn't seem to get the message portrayed; I felt  of the action movement happening from the story that I wasn't able to focus o the character's self actualization.

Overall, More Than This is a nice good read - albiet with a draggy start- filled with whom you can't help but feel a certain liking to. 

My Rating 


Did my Roaring Review made you want to read the book too? What are you waiting for; click the button below and add it to your To-Read Shelf in Goodreads!



1 comment:

  1. I love his Chaos Walking series...I might not pick this up anytime soon so maybe hi "A Monster Calls" is more promising :-)

    ReplyDelete