Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Roaring Reviews: The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publication Date: January 10, 2012 by Dutton Books
Format: Trade Paperback

Plot Synopsis:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

The Actual Review:

YA Contemporary books had never been one of my strong suits. I find it very inconceivable to imagine myself lounging on some bed that had seen better days, reading some realistic contemporary fiction.

Now, all of you might now be wondering, if I dislike YA Contemporary that much, why did I even bother pick up The Fault in Our Stars? Like many of the neophytes to this fandom, I tried this book because of the upcoming movie produced by 20th Century Fox; another reason I decided to pick this up, is because of that obligatory urge to read TFiOS who was infamous for breaking so many hearts. I wouldn't mind. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by it.

And break my heart, it did!

I kinda got bored with the entire book that is The Fault in Our Stars. Although true, it did contain a lot of metaphors, both implicit and explicitly stated, it felt that during the entire span of my read, I found myself trying to contemplate more at the metaphors rather than the content per se of the book; and in doing so, I cannot help but think that the entire book is founded upon sophistry. The book would suddenly get deep and highly philosophical that if you’re reading it around the wee hours of 2-3 AM you’d find yourself reading the very same line over and over again, endeavoring to extract meaning from the text. Even when you’re wide awake, you’d still have difficulty in drawing out some sense from the said lines.

The most relatable character in the book would be Isaac. And although Isaac’s main role in the book is to provide some sort of comic relief, he would be the person whom you’d immediately get drawn towards to, because when the other main protagonists would get too pretentious formulating metaphors and philosophies, he would be the first person whom you can rely on to not analyze the content of his words. You’d find them become some sort of reprieve in contrast to Hazel and Gus’s words which leaves you more confused than before at the end of the day.

I didn’t seem to receive even an ounce of FEELS from the romance aspect of this book – or any FEELS whatsoever-, which I found as a humongous surprise because it doesn’t take a lot for me to ship two characters from the moment they set their eyes upon each other. I was waiting for that stupid grin of mine to take form at the corners of my mouth when you catch the two characters do something fluffy, and unfortunately that grin - that I was so hoping for - didn’t come.

Pushing these thoughts aside, The Fault in Our Stars was an okay read. I would recommend it to people would enjoy thought-provoking ideas about the purpose of our existence in our world.

My Rating:


Did my Roaring Review made you want to read the book too? What are you waiting for; click the button below and add it to your To-Read Shelf in Goodreads!


To my awesome friend who made sure that this review made a coherent thought when I wrote it during the hours of 4-6 AM, for that I thank you. :D


2 comments:

  1. You are one of the few who didn't take a shining to this book...again for me I was at the right frame of feels when i 've read this book back in 2012 there were no such high expectations when I dove into it not knowing what to expect really...regarding Gus being pretentious I feel it was his armor but then when he found himself really dying it all breaks down. Still I do appreciate ur honest review. Perhaps u will reread the book in another point of ur life u will have different perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just TWO stars? Not even 3? It was a nice read, sure, but it wasn't THAT bad.

    -www.LuciusFlux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete