Sunday, June 22, 2014

Roaring Reviews: We'll Always Have Summer, by Jenny Han

Title: We'll Always Have Summer
Author: Jenny Han
Publication Date: April 26, 2011 by Simon & Schuster
Format: Trade Paperback

Plot Synopsis:

It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.

The Actual Review:

We’ll Always Have Summer is the third book in Jenny Han’s the Summer Series. I have written a review for the first two books The Summer I Turned Pretty and It’s Not Summer Without You and could be found here and here.

I started reading the first book of the series because of the reason that Jenny Han is coming here to the Philippines – in fact I am writing this as while I am currently falling in line at the actual book signing. And let me tell you, I never expected to actually like the book, let alone to acquire so much FEELS from the last one. I was literally rolling on my bed as soon as I was done with the last page.

We’ll Always Have Summer started off two years after the events of the second book, and from the first chapter, we already see that Jeremiah and Belly are now a solid couple. The two of them are so sweet and that you could really see them really loving each other, but ever since it was revealed that Jeremiah messed up big time, we can see that their relationship went pretty much downhill from there.

I kinda got peeved at Jeremiah during most parts of the book; I know that Jeremiah provides us comic relief for the series, but there are times when his nonchalance really got on my nerves. You could really see Belly going on and about being stressed out because the pressure of the wedding is getting into her, and then when she would go to Jeremiah for some decisions about the wedding, he would just give her some blasé comment.

I love Belly in We’ll Always Have Summer; we really saw her grow and mature as a character. Although there were some parts of the book that I question her judgement on things at hand, I’m really happy that she’s no longer that whiny, immature girl who thinks that being mature means looking mature and not acting like one.

I really enjoyed the POV’s of Conrad throughout the book. We learn how he’s been coping up these past two years Belly has been with Jeremiah. Everything is filled with angst as he goes through this ordeal of falling with his brother’s fiancĂ©. I am really a huge sucker when it comes to angst so it was Conrad’s POV that drove me over the edge in this book which left me giving this book a really high rating.

Plot-wise the book is good, it has a good enough plot, enough to keep me reading; it doesn’t have that forced feel to it that some books have.

Overall, We’ll Always Have Summer is a jarring and engrossing read that will keep readers up until the early hours of down and won’t even notice it. I’m giving the book another Brazen Book Star because of the intense FEELS!!!

My Rating:


Did my Roaring Review made you want to read the book too? What are you waiting for; click the button below and add it to your To-Read Shelf in Goodreads!



1 comment:

  1. Great review! I esp love that epilogue...kung sila talaga it's meant to be :) even after all that drama. And never to fall for both brothers too much complication!

    ReplyDelete